Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Reason Being Under 110 Pounds Sucks

I have tried donating blood three times now.
The first time I was told I didn't weigh enough (I had to be 115 pounds). I was probably about 103 pounds.

So...the next time I tried donating blood I decided to be clever. I told them I was 115 pounds.
This worked nicely until they found out my iron was low- that sucked.

Apparently now they changed it from 115 to 110 pounds (which doesn't really help me), but I guess its better since I may be able to reach that weight someday.

LTU had a blood drive today and I went in (unprepared to answer the "how much do you weigh?" question). I ended up saying I didn't know- but I clearly don't look like I weigh more than 110 pounds. This man ended up giving me reasons for why I should not donate (since I look under 110 pounds)- here are some of the reasons I remember:

People under 110 pounds are....
1) More likely to faint
2) More likely to have low iron
3) More likely to pee on themselves
4) More likely to be hospitalized

I think the one that convinced me was the peeing on myself- that just didn't sound pretty.
So...once again I was declined.

I may sound all tough by saying I want to donate bad, but the truth is that I am scared shitless about needles- I hate them. I was that girl who cried bloody murder in the doctors office when getting a vaccine and then scared all the kids in the waiting room.

So in a way I was relieved, but I have many reasons why I want to overcome my fear. Here are my top two:
1) To save a life of course!
2) My mom was saved due to blood donors- I want to return the thanks.


So maybe after the Miss MI competition, if I don't win, I will make myself 5 pounds fatter and then donate blood for the first time.

3 comments:

  1. good for you for trying to donate. if peeing on yourself weren't a side effect of not weighing enough, I'd tell you to wear an extra pair of pants to make yourself look heavier =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! I'll try that next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea well I am definitely over 110 pounds but I too am unable to donate. I hate giving blood at the doctor's office however receiving a shot does not bother me one bit.
    I have fainted recently
    My iron is always low (this is why I can't donate)
    I have not peed on myself in years (knock on wood)
    NO HOSPITALS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete