Monday, April 20, 2009

Honoring the Memory of Professor Kelch




Today the LTU Scholars had a reception honoring the memory of Professor Kelch.

We had a plaque made and hung it up on the door of the Scholar's room.

Kevin Kelch passed way last year. It was a very unexpected death and it broke the hearts of many students and faculty members. Including mine.

Kevin Kelch was the founder of the Scholars Program at Lawrence Tech. He was very passionate about many things and made great contributions to the university. One the the two greatest contributions that Kelch made that made a difference in my life are 1) Creating the Media Communication Program in LTU; If it wasn't for Kelch, I would not be attending LTU. Being a student at LTU has brought so many opportunities and experiences and I thank Kelch for making such a great difference in my career and life. 2) Creating the Scholars Program; The Scholars Program has been a great help at making college life easier. It has helped me in numerous ways: making long lasting friendships, getting involved in the community, being with a group of students who care about their classes, and the program has also helped me financially (supplying snacks, drinks, paper, pens, bluebooks, etc). Most of all- I have somewhere to be and do homework while I am at school (I am a commuter)- the scholar room is my home.

It has been very difficult to say goodbye to Kelch. He was very passionate about the Scholars program and it was a difficult process deciding on a new director for the program. Kelch is simply unreplaceable. However, I have to say that our new director, Holly Helterhoff, has been doing a great job!

I have many great memories with Kelch and know that he is in a happier place. 
Through my religion I have learned that death is a messenger of joy- and we should be happy that the person is in a better world. 
I ask myself sometimes why he had to leave this world so early- but I must have faith in God and know that it was for a reason.

I will always remember Kelch and I know he is always with the scholars :)


No comments:

Post a Comment