Thursday, February 19, 2009

Spanish Soap Operas

Not the first one to say it- Spanish soap operas are WAY better than English ones.
However, I am not the type of person to first- watch TV (I know- not very common, but I am too busy to watch TV) and second- like HAVING to watch something this day and time or else I go nuts

My father is the same way- me and him try to not even turn on the TV when a Spanish soap is going on. On the other hand, my mom is obsessed with them.
And this is what ends up happening EVERY time-

1) My mom starts watching a soap in secret
2) My dad or I suspect she is watching one so we ask- to get a "huh? me? no- I just glimpsed at it the other day, but I am not watching it"
3) Mom continues to watch the soap in secret
4) I see commercials of the soap and innocently ask "what is that soap about?" and my mom spills the beans by giving WAY too much detail and gets caught (but is still in denial)
5) Finally mom confesses that she has to record the soap when we decide to go out one night because she is addicted to it
6) Mom watches her soap- usually at night- so dad gets forced to watch it too
7) Dad gets addicted to the soap
8) Mom and dad watch it all the time (recording it if they are not home) and talk about it constantly
9) Many times they watch recorded ones downstairs- so while I am in the kitchen table doing hw I get to hear and glimpse at the soap
10) I get addicted to the soap
11) I hate myself for it
12) After soap is done me and dad make mom promise that she will not begin to watch another
13) Mom promises
14) Start over at #1

Right now the soap we are watching is Las Tontas No Van Al Cielo (not exact tranlation, but pretty much Dumb Women Don't Go To Heaven). It is a really funny soap- unlike those crazy soaps where everyone marries everyone and then everyone gets killed.

So though it is a very enjoyable soap to watch- I can't stand being addicted to it.
I just have way too many things to do to be HAVING to watch something for an hour Mon-Fri.

And though I want to say it won't happen again- it will- because my mom always finds a new soap.


2 comments:

  1. Going into the media, Andrea, you SHOULD be watching TV! Haha we all have our guilty pleasures. Don't beat yourself up over it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know- I should.
    The only time I get into TV watching is the summer when I don't have school or school activities.

    ReplyDelete