Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Nuestra Belleza Latina

How could I forget? The show I have watch religiously every Sunday from 8-10pm: Nuestra Belleza Latina

Nuestra Belleza Latina is a beauty pageant "reality TV" show hosted by Univision for Hispanic woman in America. The winner gets $200,000 worth of prizes plus contracts with different companies.

The reason why I got so addicted to this show (way before I entered a pageant myself) was because I actually auditioned for it- yup! I sure did.
The first time the show got started was three years ago. I went to the Chicago auditions.

I actually did a very good job until the end.
There were four different stages, and I made it to the last stage.

The first stage was to get inside the building- which I did since I got there extra early! A lot of girls ended up staying outside because they go there late.

The second stage was to get a bracelet from some of the recruiters (I guess that what they are). However, the girls were not told this- we just sat there and some came to us to have a conversation and if they liked us, we got a bracelet.

I received a bracelet and then they announced that the people with the bracelets must go to another room. (Later I found out that the other girls ended up having to do out-of-the-box stuff to prove they deserved the chance to continue).

In third stage was a personal interview/conversation with the recruiters. We had to impress them. I had brought my flute with me, so I played a song and then told a joke when asked to do so- the recruiter decided I was ready for the next stage.

The last stage was to go in front of the judges (which would be on TV if they chose my audition). One of the judges Osmel Sousa, is like the Simon of American Idol- brutally honest!

I must admit, I was scared- and my nerves definitely got to me.
When I walked in, I had my flute with me. One of the judges (forget his name) asked me what I could do so I said "play the flute, dance, sing..." and the jerk asks "why don't you dance and play the flute at the same time?" 
Since I was so scared and didn't know what to say- my dumb*** actually tried it (I can actually laugh about it now, but I felt stupid then). Let's not go into what I looked like when I tried dancing and playing the flute- obviously I gave them the idea that I was a naive young girl who would actually try to do stupid stuff. SO needless to say, I was told that I was "too young" and to come back next year.
At least they asked me to come back!

THANK GOODNESS- my audition was NOT on TV *phew* that was a huge relief!

So that year I watched the show to see "what-I-would-of-done" if I would of gotten the PASS to go to Miami. I wanted to go the next year, but I missed the auditions. Then this year I decided not to do it.

After competing for the Miss Oakland County Scholarship Pageant, and learning about the Miss America Program, I decided that I much rather compete in something that will allow me to grow as a person, help in my education, and be able to contribute to society.

Right now the third Nuestra Belleza Latina has started and Univision definitely finds ways to make each year more entertaining to watch!




No comments:

Post a Comment