Monday, March 2, 2009

First Day of the Fast

Today, March 2nd, is the first day of the Fast in the Bahai Faith.

Bahai's between 15 and 70 years of age do not eat or drink for 19 days from sunrise to sunset and set aside time for prayer and meditation. People with illness, pregnancy, nursing mothers, extended travel, and arduous physical labor are exempt from fasting.
Therefore, I have to wake up very early to eat and not eat or drink until sunset.

The first days are always the hardest. I have been tired all day from the lack of sleep and am extremely hungry. It makes it so much harder when you are conscience that you are not allowed to eat. Normally I am so busy with school, meetings, and work that I barely eat somedays (unintentionally)- but now that I am conscience of the sacrifice I am making, I am even hungrier than usual- making the fast more challenging.

I will be fasting until March 20th- a total of 19 days. The Bahai calendar has 19 months, each with 19 days. 19X19 is 361 so the extra days are what we call "Ayyam-i-Ha"- which is similar to Christmas, except it is 4-5 days with the purpose of celebrating, being hospitable, helping charities, and gift giving. I just celebrated Ayyam-i-Ha.

After the fast (March 21st) we will be celebrating our new year "Naw-Rus." So February/March are significant months for the Bahais.

I did not make this blog to "preach" so if you want to know more go to:
http://www.bahai.org/
or
http://www.bahai.us/

The Bahai's believe in the independent investigation of truth- so we never preach. However it was hard for me to write about my fasting without giving some background. 

So don't be surprised if you see me in the Cafe Lawrence stuffing my face around 6:30pm every day.

2 comments:

  1. I am excited to read about your fast.

    I am always open to new information because diversity is what makes life interesting.

    If we all practiced the same belief and followed the same patterns, I would probably go to a remote place.

    I too plan to fast but not until break. I need to get back grounded and ready to conquer the end of the semester. Your blog just gives me motivation. I am not fasting as long as you but their is no solid food until the completion of the fast. I will be home not running around like a chicken with my head cut off so that will help.

    Keep the faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting. I'll have to check out your links. thanks for sharing about your fast.

    I give you a lot of credit for sticking to your fast!

    ReplyDelete