Sunday, January 25, 2009

Pageants

I just watched Miss America yesterday and am so happy for Miss Indiana who won.
It made me think- what if I get there someday?

I was never a "pageant" girl or knew anything about pageants until last summer.
I was looking for scholarships and ran into the Miss Michigan Scholarship Pageant website, began reading more information and realized that in order to compete in Miss Michigan, a girl must first win a local pageant.

It just so happened that the Miss Oakland County Scholarship Pageant was open and I decided to compete.
Then I learned how each contestant had to have a platform and it wasn't just a "beauty pageant that gave scholarship" anymore; a scholarship pageant wants a girl who not only is smart and in shape, but also someone who has a passion for a certain issue and likes to do community service.

I didn't win the Miss Oakland County pageant, but I did win two scholarships/awards: The People's Choice Award and The Miss Scholar Award, a total of $320.

I was really proud of myself. Then I found out that Lawrence Tech opened a pageant.
Almost seems like it was meant to be haha- I hope so!

If I win Miss Lawrence Tech I would compete in Miss Michigan (who gets $11,000), and if I win Miss Michigan I would compete in Miss America (who gets $50,000).

I now understand that the Miss America Program is more than a beauty pageant. I truly admire all the efforts the organization does to help women.

My platform is High School Drop-out Prevention and I am so very passionate about my platform as well as education in general (that is a whole other story). I hope to be able to speak in high schools and motivate and inspire minority students who are more likely to drop out of high school.

Anyway...just had the pageant in mind after watching Miss America (Miss LTU will be Feb 7th at 5pm in LTU).

Congratulations Miss Indiana!

No comments:

Post a Comment