Thursday, January 29, 2009

ESL students

It is beyond my believe how some teachers are unaware of ESL (English as a Second Language) Students.

Many students come to the United States not knowing the English language and face the challenge of learning a new language.
I personally lived through this. I came to the US at age nine, knowing very little English.
Not only did I face the difficulty and challenge of learning a new language, I was also challenged socially.
Who wanted to be friends with the girl with the strong accent?

Looking back at my elementary years I remember how hard it was to be myself. I was afraid to speak up because of my accent.
I wanted to play outside, but had no one to play with. I wanted to sit in the back of the bus, but I felt safer in the front. I hated lunch time because I never knew where to sit. It was the fact that I had an older sister that made me happy- she was always there for me.

Some ESL students don't have a supportive family the way I did.

My experience has changed the way I view everything- but specially ESL students.
I know not to speak loud and slow- because I hated that. We aren't deaf of dumb, just learning the English language.

Working at a High School I see how teachers are not taught to teach to ESL students. For example: speaking too fast, using abbreviations, etc.

I made a chart of suggestions and explanations to teachers about ESL students.
Hopefully this will help some teachers understand why ESL students are not doing as well as the other students in the class and what each teacher can do to help.








1 comment:

  1. Great blog Andrea. Thanks for sharing. It had to have been so frustrating for you growing up not knowing the language. When I was in China last year it was difficult to talk to some students because not all of the kids were as fluent as others.

    Thanks for the chart in your blog. It was interesting to look through =)

    ReplyDelete